Chandler was among the charter members of the first Baptist church in the state of Iowa.
In the spring of 1834 Chandler was part of a group that left Green County Kentucky and traveled to Long Creek six miles south of Danville, Iowa. Upon reaching their destination, they discovered there was no church in the area. Unaccustomed to being without a house of worship, they were anxious to organize one as soon as possible. They sent word to Elder John Logan, who lived in Illinois, asking him to come to Long Creek to help start a church. On October 19, 1834 Elder Logan and Gardiner Bartlett, representative of the House Mission Society arrived and the Regular Baptist Church at Long Creek was established.
In 1838 Elihu Chandler, Jemima’s husband, joined the church. He was the third person baptized. Both he and Jemima were devoted members the rest of their lives.
From 1838 to 1849 the congregation met in homes. In 1849 a church was built but became too small for the growing congregation so in 1888 a new and larger church, Danville Baptist, was erected . On the 100th anniversary, a celebration called Chandler Sunday was held to honor five generations of Chandler membership. They were; Elihu, James, Frank, Glen and Don. A picture of the Chandler men was given to the church.
Danville Baptist Church History obtained from Danville Church Secretary
Danville’s First Baptist Church Marks Sesquicentennial, Burlington Hawkeye Newspaper 1984